Monday, January 14, 2008

Sorry cow milk, our relationship has to end, I'm with Soy milk now.






So this past week or so I've caught up with some friends I used to go to high school with via the internet. It's been shocking at best and slightly disturbing as well. Dredging up old memories for me can be hard from time to time. Especially when I was so close with these people and we drifted apart as we did. It really wasn't for any particular reason just life taking us down very different paths.

I am happy though, to be caught up with my friend Renee. We were the goofiest bunch of idiots together always being loud and boisterous not giving a fuck about what other people had to say about us. Now she is living in the city with another friend of mine from high school and living our dream when we were kids. Personally now, I wouldn't live in the city if you paid me. But it's awesome she is making things happen there.

There was also discovery that the guy I went to the prom with is two hairs shy of being famous. He's a successful sculpture, video producer, and big time animal activist. It's so weird to see some of the videos that he has produced, Some of the artistic ideas that come flowing from his brain. I keep thinking, was he like this when we were friends in high school? I knew he was incredibly talented, but I guess I couldn't see farther than where we were at the time.

Anyway, I was watching one of his friends "vegan parenting" videos and became interested in the idea of Soy milk. What struck me was a women was talking about cow milk. She said "cow milk is meant for baby cows, not for human consumption" I thought to myself, it only makes sense! So tonight my roommate was telling me about how her baby has been getting rashes because of my roommate drinking cows milk (she's breast feeding so whatever mum eats baby eats in a way) so she had decided she was going to try out Soy milk. So, that's when I decided if she buys, I will try it, if it's good, I will drink it in substitution for cows milk.

She just got home from the grocery about a half an hour ago, let me tell you. Soy milk is YUMMY. It sort of has a rice pudding taste. With out the lumps of rice of course. It even comes in chocolate and vanilla. I think it is going to be well worth the extra couple of bucks. Although I am not willing to go 100% vegan. I think it's a fantastic alternative to cows milk. Especially with all the hormones they are injecting into cows now, to make the produce more milk or grow bigger in general.

So, KUDOS Soy milk. Erica is on your side.


*I am sure the opinion I expressed here is not necessarily one that Mik will agree with. I think if he tastes Soy milk though he will thoroughly enjoy it and make the switch with me. I am just crossing my fingers that Australia has jumped on the Soy milk wagon and it isn't hard to find.

9 comments:

Mik said...

You guys drink cows milk?:O
We get our milk from kangaroos. If they hop around too much we then get cream from them. The real hoppy ones produce butter, but it's extremely difficult to get out...

PS. Unless absolutely medically required there's no way in hell I'm going vegan, sorry dearest. I love eating meat too much. Mmmm, might cook up a medium rare steak or two tonight:D

Beautifully Profound said...

Although I am not willing to go 100% vegan.


You failed to read that part. I just want to make the switch to soy milk.

Anonymous said...

We use rice milk and Oat milk. Rice milk is sweeter than soy, it is also thinner.

I prefer oat milk. It's creamier. Hemp milk is good too, but really expensive.

R.E.H. said...

No way I'd give up my cow's milk! Soy milk has a vile taste...

And... what about calcium? I don't think soy milk has that, and milk is the number one provider of calcium which give us strong [skeletal] bones.

Oh, btw - I couldn't cast my vote up there, because I couldn't bring myself to suggesting I like my man meat... ;)

Beautifully Profound said...

You don't necessarily need milk to get your calcium dear REH. Just eating leafy greens will do the trick. Fish as well. There are soy milks that come calcium fortified as well. So don't worry your pretty little man meat, I will get enough calcium to keep my bones strong.

Mik said...

I read it all baby, I was just being selective in taking into account the facts:P

@ REH, I know what you mean about the last option...but I'm not beyond a bit self deprecation. I also know for a fact that Erica also likes her man meat:P

Melody said...

I love chocolate soy milk, but I don't drink the unflavored stuff. I'm not a fan of rice pudding.

Also, soy milk increases your estrogen levels and that can make you gain weight (where as cow milk makes you lose weight), so it's good for baby, but adults have to be careful how much soy they incorporate into their diet.

Anonymous said...

Cow's milk does NOT make you lose weight, don't buy into that hype.

RHoltslander said...

She said "cow milk is meant for baby cows, not for human consumption"

Cows milk is indeed for baby cows but the milk cow was designed to provide food for humans. In fact that's the only reason for their existence and if we didn't drink their milk we'd have to put them all down. Its not like they exist somewhere in the wild that we could give them their freedom.

Regarding the rightful purpose of cows milk... it is meant to be eaten and that's the only reason it is produced. Soy is not meant to be eaten at all (at least from the soy plants perspective) but rather to produce another soy plant (soy is made from the seed of the soy plant).

Finally, before you switch to soy remember the estrogenic properties inherent in soy. It mimics estrogen in the human body. It should never be given to babies or children because we don't really understand the effects it has.

Just my two cents.