Friday, September 14, 2007

Check your brain at the entrance of the mall.

I swear people cannot read. There are huge signs up everywhere stating, "ALL SUNGLASSES 6.99 OR 2 FOR 10." The most common question I get is "duuuuhhh, how much are your sunglasses?" It really annoys the crap out of me. I usually get so frustrated that I just point to the one of four blazing signs that give them the obvious answer.

The other peeve I have is, when I have no change. I write a bold sign saying, "I cannot accept payment of merchandise with a twenty dollar bill." Then the illiteracy comes out again, because you better believe that's what they hand me every time. So, usually when I do, and it never works, is put a sign up on each side of my kiosk. Just so when they get all huffy about my asking them for small bills I can point to the sign innocently.

I am in the wrong profession people drive me nuts and for the most part don't have much common sense. To think I have two retail jobs.

2 comments:

Melody said...

Yeah, retail was never my calling either. Way back when I worked at a fabric store I had a customer come up to me in a huff and yell at me because she'd been all over the store and we didn't have sewing scissors and why didn't we put them in a central easy to find location and where were they anyhow?

I really hated to have to tell her they were right behind her. Really.

A friend of mine works at the Wal-mart photo lab and she always gets people who ask her electronics questions and then get mad when she doesn't know and then get mad again when she directs them to electronics and then mad once more when the person in electronics knows the correct answer.

Mik said...

A bloke I used to work with at the nursery once had some lady come in and ask him about what to do with a problem corner in her yard because nothing seemed to wanted to grow there...He told her to move house.
Moral of the story is: if you want gardening advise go to a retail nursery where people care, not a wholesaler whose time you're just wasting.