Tuesday, September 11, 2007

This recent spate of posts to do with religion has been brought on with the fact that I finally figured out that I'm an agnostic. Now, for years I thought I was an atheist, but having only just read the meanings of the two, I think I slot into the agnostic camp...complete with sing-a-longs, crude jokes and toasting marshmallows by the fire....and brimstone. Oops:P

I cannot prove, nor disprove Gods or any other gods existence. Maybe someone should come up with a test..."Here, pee into this cup and we'll all soon find out..."

Now I for one, as Erica understands, am not about to become a believer, just for the sake of believing. I think that's incredibly cynical, and at this stage of my life, hypocritical. One should not make an each-way bet on these kinds of matters, but I've seen it for myself. I've heard people say "I'm not a gambler, not when it comes to my soul". Ok, so you only believe just in case God really does exist? That to me sounds wrong. It's like admitting you're only friends with someone just to see what you can get out of them down the track. Maybe I took a comment in the wrong context, I don't know. I'll be honest, when it comes to these kinds of topics, I'm fairly new, having never been a deep thinker, and more inclined to wade in the kiddie pool.

But, who am I to judge? For all I know I could be struck down by lightning for this post because God reads this blog...or life could just go on as if nothing ever happened.

So...who wants to bet that I get hit by lightning?:P

3 comments:

Emily said...

So... why can't you prove or disprove God? You just don't think anyone can know or can you kind of pin it on something that happened/didn't happen? Just wondering.

Mik said...

I've never personally witnessed or experienced anything Godly...or I might have but haven't realized it...or maybe it's Gods intention (if He does in fact exist)to not make Himself known to me, in the future or ever, but for me to search Him out. Who knows?
And how does one prove or disprove there is a god? Is there a test or something I haven't heard about? I'm inclined to think that until some miracle happens, which literally slaps me in the face, I will most probably never know, either way. I think I need something tangible, not ethereal to change my mind, at this time and place anyway.

Emily said...

I think you're right about God wanting you to search Him out, but if you look for Him, you will find Him.

There's a site you might find interesting:
http://ecclesia.org/truth/atheist.html
(I know you're not an atheist, but the site doesn't know that :)

Let me know what you think.