Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Caramelized Pumpkin Seeds





1/2 cup butterscotch caramel sauce
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon extract
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cups pumpkin seeds, roasted
1 cup almonds, crushed


Lightly coat baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.

In a large skillet, slowly melt the caramel sauce and sugar. When melted stir in cinnamon extract and cayenne. Continue cooking until mixture reaches a temperature of 310 degrees F. Stir in pumpkin seeds until completely coated. Spread caramelized seeds onto the baking sheet and sprinkle with crushed almonds. Separate seeds with wooden spoon until cooled.

Cook's Notes:
Melted sugar is very hot. Please use extreme caution when handling and pouring. Pumpkin seeds may be purchased already roasted. If using the seeds from a jack-o-lantern, rinse and clean seeds. Place on a baking sheet, lightly coated with cooking spray, in a preheated 250 degree F oven. Roast seeds for about 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes. The actual seed of the pumpkin is inside the hull. The hull is edible.

6 comments:

Melody said...

Looks a-mazing.

I'm so going to try that.

R.E.H. said...

Ok... this Mik guy is one lucky dude. Look at all this yummy stuff he'll get to eat.

Oh, well... I'm off to microwave a frozen dinner... I guess :)

Emily said...

That looks sooo much better than the leftover Halloween candy.

Robin Marie said...

That looks wonderful! I've never heard such a thing... we always cooked pumpkin seeds with salt and spices. This looks like it might actually taste good. Imagine that.

Beautifully Profound said...

It was awesome couldn't stop eating the damn stuff all day. But my teeth are killing me now so there is a penalty. Make sure you brush your teeth hella good before you run off to bed after that stuff. Oh, and I didn't add the cayenne pepper to it either. I read reviews on it and they all pretty well agreed that it was better with out the pepper. I would have to agree as well, much tastier.

Mik said...

Yes indeed I am and will be a lucky dude to have somebody like Erica around, although my waistline may disagree, but we'll both be working on that;)
BTW, looks damn nice angel!