Friday, October 05, 2007

Fun times in The United States of America



For the past week there have been two army guys stalking young men in the mall. They drive me crazy, it's like they are on a strategic military mission to recruit as many able bodied young men they can find. I think they've asked the friendly neighborhood gay guy like five times if he wanted to join. HELLO he's gay! But nonetheless, the act like two sharks circling their pray one will go around one way the other shark the opposite direction. I actually saw a guy looking completely uncomfortable trying to back away from the two and they just kept getting closer.

Every time a security guard walks past I am tempted to ask them if it's legal for them to be harassing innocent boys to enlist in the military. But I know it probably isn't because the mall more than likely considered public property.

It also makes me think, is the military so desperate that they have to harass people into enlisting? Are they getting too few people that come into the enlistment office on their own they have to take it to the streets. It also seems as if they target minorities, which makes me wonder are they using the fact that some of these people are uneducated and poor that they'd do anything to get out of the ghetto?

I seriously am glad I am not an American male right now. They don't harass me because the last thing they need is women in the military ( from their stand point at least). I just wonder when do you think it will get bad enough for the United States to reinstate the draft.

Fun times America, fun times.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Yeah, their marketing strategy seems scary.

I have the impression that the draft is dead and will never be brought back. Times have changed.

Melody said...

Wow. Actually, malls aren't considered public places, solicitation and survey's in a mall are considered illegal - though I suppose it's up to the owner's discretion and how would you tell the U.S. military to get out?